Jetpack Boost – WordPress plugin
Jetpack Boost provides one-click optimizations that supercharge your WordPress site’s performance and improve web vitals
scores for better SEO.
Optimize your site with the same techniques used on the world’s most successful websites. Each technique is packaged up as a module that you can activate and try out.
Currently the plugin has 3 performance modules available:
Optimize CSS Loading generates Critical CSS for your homepage, posts and pages. This can allow your content to show up on the screen much faster, particularly for viewers using mobile devices.
Read more about critical CSS generation at web.dev
Lazy Image Loading only loads the images the user can see. As the user scrolls, images are loaded just before they show up on the page. This simple optimization makes sites faster and saves bandwidth for your host and your customers.
Read more about lazy image loading at web.dev
There’s nothing to configure – the setup process is as easy as:
- Install the plugin
- Activate Jetpack Connection
Turn on performance modules one by one and observe how the performance score changes
Google PageSpeed API is used to measure the performance score of a site. It’s important to look at the PageSpeed score because Core Web Vitals are going to be used as a ranking factor in search engines.
With 💚 by Jetpack
This is just the start!
We are working hard to bring more features and improvements to Jetpack Boost. Let us know your thoughts and ideas!
We’d also like to give a special THANK YOU to the XWP team who provided help with initial research and scoping of the plugin and were engaged with our team throughout the project.
- Install Jetpack Boost via the plugin directory, and activate it.
- Visit the “Jetpack Boost” section of your site’s WP Admin.
- Turn on the performance features you would like to try out on your site.
What are Web Vitals?
Web Vitals are the measurements that Google uses to better understand the user experience on a website. By improving Web Vitals scores you’re also improving the user experience on your site.
You can read more about Web Vitals on web.dev
How do I know if it’s working?
Every site is different and so performance benefits for each module may vary from site to site. That’s why we recommend that you measure the performance improvements on your site by enabling the performance modules one by one. There are many tools out there that you can use for free to measure performance improvements:
Google PageSpeed measurements are built-in the Jetpack Boost dashboard.
Does it work with static page cache?
Absolutely! If you have plugins like WP Super Cache or W3 Total Cache installed – Jetpack Boost is only going to help increase the performance benefits! Keep in mind that you need to wait for the cache to clear for Jetpack Boost improvements to show up.
Does this plugin require Jetpack?
Jetpack Boost is a part of the Jetpack brand, but it doesn’t require Jetpack plugin to run. This is a separate plugin from Jetpack and it will always remain that way.
After installing this Plugin, performance increased drastically.
1) The calculating score tabs, for desktop & Mobile, are not working. They keep rolling for several minutes and in the end got this:
“Whoops, something went wrong
Couldn’t get the site score Retry
Timed out while waiting for metrics”
2) “An error occurred while sending Critical CSS generation results to the server: Failed to fetch”
Promising tool, good free tools for wordpress users. Just need to fix some issues to be a more matured tool.
The plugin is very good with a simple interface with smart coding. After activating this plugin, my page speed changed from 73 to 98 drastically. I used the premium cache plugin before, but I could not achieve a score of more than 92. Simply this plugin solved my page loading issues.
Thank you to the team and developers.
My Google page speed and gtmetrix score has increased from 97 to 100. For the first time speed index is positive. I am using it with Cache Enabler.
First, activating and turning on all 3 features didn’t break anything on my site, so that’s the first thing to be happy about, right? But second, turning on all 3 features gave my site a really nice score and speed improvement on GTMetrix. This was an easy win!
“Jetpack Boost” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.
- Fixed: Web Stories compatibility
- Updated: Support for AMP Plugin 2.0+
- Improved: HTML Media tag handling
- Fixed: Metrics timeout caused by caching in the REST API
- Fixed: An issue where the connection iframe would sometimes break
- Updated: On connection: showing an XML RPC Error instead of HTTP 500 when XML-RPC is disabled
- This update brings a lot of stability improvements.
- We’ve been hard at work to get here and Jetpack Boost v1.0.0 is finally here! 🎉
- We’ve refactored the plugin quite a bit, starting from the UI to stability fixes.
- First public alpha release